DNS-over-VPN Setup: Mac (OS X)
This article will explain how to set up our DNS-over-VPN feature on a Mac (OS X).
DNS-over-VPN using PPTP is not supported on the latest macOS Sierra (10.12) and later versions due to the removal of the PPTP protocol by Apple. We are testing the L2TP protocol on our Melbourne DNS server (188.8.131.52). You will need to use the Shared Secret 1234567890 if you want to try this out.
Before you begin, use a web browser to log into your Getflix account and ensure your IP address is registered (and that the IP address status check passes). You will only be able to connect to our VPN servers if your IP address is registered.
Open "System Preferences" and click on the "Network" icon.
Click on the "+" button to add a new network.
Fill out the form as follows:
- For the Interface option, select "VPN".
- For the VPN Type option, select "PPTP".
- In the Service Name box, enter "Getflix DNS VPN".
Click the "Create" button
Using a web browser, navigate to the "Setup" section on the Getflix website. Locate your closest "VPN Enabled" DNS server.
- In the Internet address box, enter the address of your closest "VPN Enabled" DNS server.
Using a web browser, navigate to the "VPN" section in your Getflix account. Then, using the details on that page, fill out the form as follows:
- In the Account Name box, enter the value displayed next to "VPN Username".
- Make sure Encryption is set to "Automatic (128 or 40 bit)".
Click on the "Authentication Settings" button.
Make sure "Password" is selected and enter the value displayed next to "VPN Password", then click "OK".
Click on the "Advanced" button. On the screen that appears, ensure the "Send all traffic over VPN connection" option in NOT enabled.
Click the "DNS" tab and make sure both boxes are empty. Use the "-" button to delete any entries.
Check the "Show VPN status in menu bar" option, then click the "Apply" button.
You can now click the "Connect" button and the VPN connection should be established. If you log into your Getflix account now, the DNS test should pass and services should be unblocked. Once you're done, click "Disconnect" to turn off the VPN.
You can connect and disconnect at anytime using the options in the menu bar at the top of the screen. If the VPN connection fails, see the troubleshooting tips below.
There are several reasons that the VPN connection will fail. Here are some things to check.
- Ensure that your IP address is registered on the Getflix website.
- Ensure that no other device is connected to our VPN using your account, only 1 concurrent VPN connection per account is permitted.
If the VPN connection still fails, please log a ticket with our support team for assistance.